Saturday 2 October 2010

Deerhunter // Halcyon Digest



Behind the drag curve again on this one - Deerhunter's Halcyon Digest has been considerably blogged about already - but I like to take my time and arrive at a full critical apprehension of a record before I go wasting valuable blog space extolling its virtues. Quality, not quantity, at Music on the Sea.


Halcyon Digest is an excellent record - I've loved Deerhunter ever since Cryptograms, and revisiting Microcastle this week has reminded me of just how good they are. They have a real signature sound - you know it's a Deerhunter track you're listening to, from the distinctive progressions and melodies, let alone Bradford Cox's voice (or Lockett Pundt's, for that matter). The songs are self-contained and yet, like the cover of Cryptograms, draw you inside and have a meandering, wandering quality that manages to avoid becoming vapid. The dichotomy between their more ambient and their more poppy / rocky tracks is much less pronounced that in the very overt split of the first record. For those of you, like me, whose favourite track on Microcastle was the haunted doo-wop of Twilight at Carbon Lake, there are a few tracks here with the spirit of the 50s, which I've particularly enjoyed.


Deerhunter: Desire Lines


No comments: