Saturday 20 February 2010

Irony // Hip Hop

I suspect that irony is overused. And I do mean the word, not the concept. Ben mentioned ironic eyepieces. I don't really know what that means. Is it possible for an eyepiece to ironic? Can one wear clothes ironically? I dare say that in most cases the answer is no. After some consideration, I think ironic glasses look something like this:
ie, made entirely of plastic/not glass and actually impede vision. That's ironic... right? Perhaps when people use the adjective ironic, they are actually searching for 'rubbish'. Catching MRSA is probably ironic. Far be it from me to say.

Not many chances to see hip hop in London, so take advantage of these:

DOOM - Roundhouse, March 5
Brother Ali - Cargo, March 17
Method Man - O2, April 7

Brother Ali : Truth Is
King Geedorah : Fastlane
Viktor Vaughn : Let Me Watch


2 comments:

Ben said...

Chris, an excellent point on the overuse of the word "ironic." I would be remiss, however, if I did not point out that given the context, frame of reference, and timing, I was using the word "ironic" in an ironic fashion.

To me, "ironic" implies a certain knowingness or self-reflexivity. Whether an object has the potential to be "ironic" I am unsure, but I think things can be used, worn or referred to in an "ironic" way.

Irony also carries a strong dosage of affection. Whilst providing an overtly mocking facade, the ironist in fact has a genuine warmth for the item in question - be it an inappropriately 80s hairstyle, a love for power ballads, or the use of the word "hipster" in a sense both condescending to and recognising as oneself the trendy young person in question.

Englishness requires a strong ironic sense. Our self-effacement and distaste for self-aggrandisement means that, were we to consider making a brash statement of taste (such as aforementioned eyewear), we must supplement (thus justifying) this with a knowing sense of undercutting one's own statement. In this process the ironic circle (like the Magic Circle but less ironic) comes to bear upon itself.

Or maybe it's just me.

Unknown said...

I just enjoyed a picture of an "iron" in an article on "irony".

I see what you did there.