Thursday 11 March 2010

Islands

Compared to the current controversy surrounding sovereignty over the Falklands' deep sea oil reserves, these Islands are a far less divisive bunch. Their excellent third record Vapours was released last year to an understated reception , well-reviewed but with none of the fanfare which accompanied many of 2009's major releases.

Unjustly so, I feel. It was a superbly crafted piece of synth-esque pop, catchy and sweet and melodic. Arm's Way is also a fantastic under-rated record.

Well I've got news for all you haters out there. Islands are in town - catch them at Cargo on 24th March. Sadly I'm not going to be around for that, but am tempted to nip up to Leeds on April 2nd to get my fill.

Dare I say it - music on the sea, literally.

Islands: Vapours

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I never really forgave them for refusing to play "Rough Gem" at their Hoxton Bar and Grill gig with the claim that "We don't know how to play that song".