Saturday 27 March 2010

The Philosophy of Geography

Buckle up, arm chair pseudo-philosophy coming your way. First, an apology for the somewhat sporadic posting on this blog. Second, I was listening to 70s UK post-punk legends The Comsat Angels and their song Map of the World reminded me of a class I took way back when on 'The Philosophy of Geography' and I was surprised with how simply the song actually touches upon some of these issues. This is not, however, a debate on the philosophy of geography.



It does bring me to Titus Andronicus. Is it fair to say that these boys are just a shade too pretentious for their own good? I quite enjoyed their first album but any band that names themselves after a Shakespeare play and has song titles like 'Upon viewing Brueghel's Landscape With the fall of Icarus' and quotes Camus' The Outsider as lyrics and.. and.. and. Surely emotional weight was gained with more than just idle quotation and direct referencing. Maybe I am wrong. If so, then let me swiftly rename this blog 'Crime and Punishment' and tell you all that my favourite book is Ulysses. Oh, if music were the food of love...

Titus Andronicus : Four Score Part One

No comments: