Friday 23 April 2010

Pete and the Pirates


I like Pete and the Pirates. And I think it's ok to like them. Although it's been so long since they released anything, I'm not sure how the blogosphere views them. Perhaps this is my chance.

Their 2008 record Little Death is diverse - although the singles "Knots" and "Mr Understanding" are both the type of songs which are so perfectly crafted they seem to have written themselves, the rest of the album is slightly more jagged and perhaps better for it. The melodies are strong and the sound is fairly raw, with clean guitar lines and double vocals. Not to overstretch the analogy, but like Joyce's Dubliners it's easy to pass over the songs without a strong reaction, yet each song stands up by itself and repays relistening. The technique of "scrupulous meanness" may be applicable to both.

Unfortunately, Pete and the Pirates seem to be the type of band destined to be forgotten. When searching Hypem for their stuff, a few bloggers said "I forgot about these guys until my itunes shuffle brought them around". I have no idea why this is, but I did the same myself. Perhaps a second album would remedy this situation, although I'm unaware if there are any plans laid. The ball's in your court.

Pete and the Pirates: Jennifer
Moving
Mr Understanding

No comments: