Tuesday 25 May 2010

Wolf Parade

For those of you less inclined to follow the activities of Dan Boeckner and Spencer Krug, individual projects have been put aside and a new Wolf Parade record, Expo 86, is released soon. The output of these two is prolific, and despite strong points on the last record At Mount Zoomer, you got the sense of a record which wasn't as crafted or coherent as their first outing.

From what I've heard of Expo 86, it reminds me of why I loved Wolf Parade and the procession of trailing acts so much in the first place. The simplicity of great pop songs is there but with enough meat and substance to keep you interested. The songs are definitely split in Lennon-McCartneyesque fashion, but Dan Boeckner is one of the coolest people ever invented and can carry off most things with aplomb. I don't know how the record will be received more generally, but I'm very excited.

Incidentally, the wikipedia article on the world Expo 86 is really interesting - apparently the monorail pictured above ended up at Alton Towers. I wish I was old enough to remember the 80s vision of the future.

In other news: for those of you intrigued by the hiatus of Klaxons, their new single is streaming on their website. Not terribly different to the old stuff. But you might have guessed that.


Wolf Parade - Yulia
- Little Golden Age
- Ghost Pressure

No comments: